How should I store my LifeStraw Peak Gravity Water Filter System?
Avoid drying out the filter by storing with a saline solution made by mixing a teaspoon of salt with water . This will keep the filter at its highest performance and maintain the hydrophilic properties of the membrane, while also preventing any mold or algae from growing during long-term storage. When the membrane becomes completely dried out, it can be difficult to get water to flow through again.
REGULAR CLEANING AND STORAGE (less than 1 month)
Follow these steps if you have already used your LifeStraw Peak Series squeeze bottle and you plan to store for less than 1 month before your next adventure! If you haven’t already, make sure to backwash your filter to keep the filter clean and to prevent clogging.
1. Backwash. To do this, disconnect the membrane microfilter from the top cap by twisting counterclockwise. Then, screw the included backwash accessory onto the membrane microfilter. Plunge the open end of the filter into drinking water, and draw water up through the filter by pulling the syringe upward and away from the filter until it reaches the edge of the housing. Then push water back through the filter by pressing the syringe downward toward the filter until the water has fully been pushed through the other side. Repeat several times.
2. Rinse. We recommend rinsing the inside top cap, mouthpiece, and bottle before putting away for storage.
3. For optimal cleaning, we recommend disinfecting your system:
To disinfect, mix 1/4 teaspoon household bleach solution with 1-2 cups of water. Dip the filter into the bleach solution far enough so that the end is submerged in solution and use the backwash accessory (or blow into your filter if using your Peak Series personal water filter straw) to push and pull the solution from the filter several times. Rinse with tap water. For your squeeze bottles and gravity systems, we recommend cleaning all mouthpieces, caps, and parts for optimal disinfection. Don’t forget you can easily remove the mouthpiece on your squeeze bottles to get out the nitty gritty stuff and use the wide neck cap on the 8L gravity system to scrub the inside of the bag.Avoid drying out the filter by storing with a saline solution made by mixing a teaspoon of salt with water. This will keep the filter at its highest performance and maintain the hydrophilic properties of the membrane, while also preventing any mold or algae from growing during long-term storage. When the membrane becomes completely dried out, it can be difficult to get water to flow through again.
LONG TERM STORAGE (greater than 1 month)
1. Immerse in Salt Solution. Fill a reusable container with 2 cups of water, add 1 teaspoon of salt and dissolve. Place the filter into the saline solution and use the backwash syringe to pull water fully into the filter. Attach the filter to the lid with the cap closed, pour the remaining solution into the collapsible squeeze bottle, and screw the filter and lid back onto the bottle.
2. Store. Store bottle that contains the salt water in a cool dry place. If applicable, store your Peak Series Carbon Filter Attachment System in a separate sealed container and keep in a cool, dry place.
3. Resume Use. To use your Peak Series filter again, discard the salt solution and fill your bottle with regular source water. Use the backwash syringe to remove residual salt water from the filter by pulling in the new water and pushing back through the filter.
If you have additional questions about storage and maintenance for your LifeStraw Peak Series products, please email us at email@example.com